I just received the very first issue of Stay Tooned!, a brand-new magazine for cartoonists from editor John Read. Since the magazine Cartoonists PROfiles is no longer gracing newsstands, Stay Tooned! is stepping in to fill the void. The magazine is published quarterly, and you can order issues or subscribe online. A copy of issue #1 is $10, or you can subscribe to five issues for $40.
This is not a skimpy magazine. It weighs in at 88 pages, chock-full of content and light on advertising. The layout is easy to read and there’s plenty cartoon eye candy. Other than a few photos that printed too dark, it’s a terrific first issue. There are loads articles and interviews from top-drawer talent:
- Greg Cravens (The Buckets)
- Marcus Hamilton (Dennis the Menace)
- Steve Kelley (editorial cartoonist for The Times-Picayune)
- Steven Butler (Sonic X)
- John Rose (Snuffy Smith)
- Marshall Ramsey (editorial cartoonist for The Clarion-Ledger)
- John Deaton (The Toon Factory)
- Rob Corley (FunnyPages Productions)
- Scott Stantis (Prickly City; editorial cartoonist)
Subscribe or purchase a copy. You’ll be glad you did.