A few months ago I took a character design class online through Schoolism.com. The instructor was Stephen Silver, one of the top character designers working in animation today. Stephen’s video lectures were very inspirational and full of meaty content. I probably learned more from Stephen than I did from some of my professors when I was in art school. If you have any interest in character design and can afford to take the class, do so!
I posted my weekly assignments here on the blog and tried to share my thoughts without giving away too much of the actual content of the lectures. The blog posts were quite popular and were even featured on Drawn!, a popular art blog.
For those of you who may have missed it, I’ve now compiled all of my Schoolism.com blog posts onto one page. Here’s the list:
- Lesson 1: Fat Joe
- Lesson 2: Silhouettes
- Lesson 3: Portrait Study
- Lesson 3: Jeckyll and Hyde
- Lesson 4: Hand-y Drawing Exercise
- Lesson 4: Jeckyll and Hyde Part 2
- Lesson 5: Clean-Up and Feedback
- Lesson 6: Turnarounds
- Lesson 7: Attitudes and Expressions
- Lesson 8: The Importance of Sketchbooks
- Lesson 8: Memory Sketching
- Lesson 9: Fat Joe (Final)